Sunday, September 19, 2010

It’s all about Balance


 
pic is courtesy of AsianYachting.com (and no, it's not me)

Wellness for the average man and significant others.         
(Average man? Where did that term come from?)
We at BaliWellnessJourneys wish to address the curious men and women who have perhaps visited a Spa but are now curious about this wave of wellness around us ~ The balance of all things wellness. There's nothing mystical about it. Our Bali Journeys are designed for just that … to introduce the curious vacationers to the wonders of Wellness and "the best of the best" that Bali offers, at the most affordable place possible me thinks.
Curious? Or Been there, done that:
Career is a singular focus? As a hall-monitor / hotel quality control inspector pointing out defects for all to see, I was dwelling in the negatives of 14 hours a day and long into the night writing reports or dreaming of defects. Balancing corporate and owner relations (politics) to get the message out ~ My personal life? Entertaining executives, stake holders and providers which leads to … Too much food n' beverage for entertainment and stress release?
Personal interests first? I downsized myself and went sailing for 5 years with a singular focus on leaving and getting somewhere else safely. It was an extraordinary healthy outdoor lifestyle, wonderful cultural learning experience but, an exhausting cash flow exercise. The very true 'hole in the water in which to throw your money" story.
That's not balance !
Then we arrived in Bali and dropped anchor. A NEW inspiration… I started with "just a massage". Previously I didn't want anyone but my wife touching me but, I acquiesced to having a massage in the privacy of our home. Our pembantu (house maid for lack of a better word) was once a Bali Beach massage lady. She found, kneaded and smoothed out lumps and bumps I didn't know I had. "sama batu" (like stone) said she, "Blood stop" .. long hard strokes really helped circulation. With a weekly massage, my stiff neck (stress) went away. I was hooked. Gimme more. Now I enjoy experimenting with new-to-me massage modalities. Since then, I've been massaged throughout Asia, including 4 cities in China. All have been a unique experience.
Especially enjoyable were Thai Massages in Bangkok, Phuket and Krabi. (lazy man's yoga … assisted stretching and twisting with a strong rub) . My first Thai massage was a wee bit disturbing with a young lady on the bed with me pulling on my body parts but, I got beyond that while stifling my dumb fantasies. I feel fully restored after a good strong Thai Massage and a nice foot reflexology massage.  

After enjoying spas in Asia, I tried a day spa in Tucson AZ. Since the lady gave me no instruction otherwise, I undressed and covered myself with a sarong on the massage bed. When she raised the sarong finding me naked she shrieked in fear! My fellow Americans are a bit modest eh? Take it from me, it's really up to you. I personally don't like disposable 'panties' for men ? No, I ask for boxer shorts or take my own but, when in Rome .. what the heck… go naked. Good therapists do a fine job of 'draping'. We get undressed for a doctor right ?
Wellness is "more than just a massage"
More inspiration: I began reading and highly recommend Dr. Andrew Weil, Dr. Oz and Dr. Dean Ornish which led me to listen up to Deepak Chopra… my wellness heroes. The beginnings of understanding lifestyle balance starts here if ya ask me. I signed up for Dr. Weil's daily email special features. It's a great reminder to stay balanced since he reports on many aspects of wellness. It's also refreshing to know and enjoy the integrated medicine approach to wellbeing.         Great stuff!            \
Keep reading .. and, stay tuned for part two.

AND, just for the fun of it:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/spaweekdaily/i-get-naked-at-the-spa-14ml 

                                                                  
    CHEERS ! !

No comments:

Post a Comment