Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Breathing


Breath .. consciously : It's the best thing I've learned from the good doctors and from studying Yoga and Meditation. Breathing is not new… Ha ... but, focusing on breathing can work wonders. When I began to really breath, it was like my first beer. The feeling was/is wonderful to feel your whole being oxygenated. I just feel pleased with myself knowing that oxygen is flowing better through my blood to all the organs that I depend upon for life. No lie, it's a great stress reliever as well. Test your BP before and after a good breathing session … proof positive that you can relieve stress all by yourself. It's a great exercise to do before making a speech or confronting your boss with your new passion.      

 This from Dr. Weil's daily wellness tips ~~ breathing exercise to relieve stress:
  1. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
  2. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
  3. Hold your breath for a count of seven.
  4. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
  5. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
"Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; but the ratio of 4:7:8 is. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply. Practice at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass."

And NOW ! ~~see the yoga video below ~~ Laugh out loud ~~ then get back to work

1 comment:

  1. I agree ~ I sing to myself or out loud when I am stressed, it focuses on my breathing & relaxes me. Dr Weil's Daily Wellness Tips are amazingly helpful - highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete